Well I raced at the Derby Midweek mile and 5km races although I wasn’t planning on and it was a bit of a last minute decision but I’m glad I did.
Wednesday 11 January
7PM – 1mi – Race – 6:03 – 6:03 – HR 153 (74% WHR)
New PB by 15 sec 🙂 it wasn’t as cold as the first time I tried the mile, being a balmy 10°C and so I didn’t have the same tightness of my chest or struggling to breath as before. I tried not to go off too fast as I did last time however looking back over the splits it seems I didn’t quite managed this however unlike last time I also didn’t suffer as much as a result:
1) - 0.25mi - 1:24(5:38/m) - 124bpm avge - 156bpm max
2) - 0.25mi - 1:32(6:08/m) - 158bpm avge - 167bpm max
3) - 0.25mi - 1:31(6:08/m) - 166bpm avge - 169bpm max
4) - 0.25mi - 1:32(6:10/m) - 172bpm avge - 176bpm max
Following the mile was the 5km race.
Wednesday 11 January
7PM – 5km – Race – 22:13 – 7:09 – HR 156 (76% WHR)
Felt a lot better after the mile race than last time ie wasn’t coughing and feeling like throwing up! But still didn’t think I should hope for much.
I had a plan to start off at 7m/m and see how the legs felt maybe with a view to increase the speed if I could. The first mile however was hard work and although I managed the target my legs felt heavy and hard to move so any chance of increasing the speed left me and in fact I slowed up for the second mile.
The third mile was interesting though my legs had started to feel better and I’d found a rhythm I was happy with so tried to stick to that I passed managed to close on a few people but it seemed I was gathering quite a few on my shoulder so expect a wave of them to come flooding by towards the end as they used me as a wind block so thought whoever came past I would stick with and then try take down at the sprint.
First one then a second came past so I went with them, it wasn’t long before the first guy had fallen back as the second picked up the pace so again I went with him. I felt comfortable behind him and thought I would give him a kick so at about 250m from the finish and I went and to my surprise or rather relief maybe he didn’t follow.
1) - 1.00mi - 7:00(7:01/m) - 156bpm avge - 168bpm max
2) - 1.00mi - 7:16(7:17/m) - 160bpm avge - 170bpm max
3) - 1.00mi - 7:18(7:18/m) - 155bpm avge - 170bpm max
4) - 1.00mi - 0:31(5:16/m) - 158bpm avge - 161bpm max
As I’m trying to get used to kilometres especially for km races I thought I would post both…
1) - 1km - 4:18(4:18/km) - 151bpm avge - 166bpm max
2) - 1km - 4:21(4:21/km) - 164bpm avge - 170bpm max
3) - 1km - 4:33(4:33/km) - 157bpm avge - 169bpm max
4) - 1km - 4:41(4:41/km) - 157bpm avge - 170bpm max
5) - 1km - 4:12(4:12/km) - 156bpm avge - 166bpm max
Who would have though a 5km race report would be so long sorry.
Anyway short story is I’m thrilled about 1 mile PB and still managing a respectable 5km time and feeling so good after both races. Also feeling positive for the weekend now and think my target might not be so lofty
Just need to take it easy now for the rest of the week, I have a 3 mile marathon paced run tomorrow and moved a 5mi recovery from Saturday to Friday so I can rest the day before Sundays race.
Ooo getting excited now 😀